The AAMDC Legal Counsel will handle assigned litigation matters on behalf of the Genesis Reciprocal Insurance Exchange (Genesis).
The mission of the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties (AAMDC) is “Through the provision of advocacy, trade and insurance services, the AAMDC will assist rural municipalities in achieving strong and effective local government”. The AAMDC Aggregated Business Services (ABS) is one of Canada’s largest and most influential public sector buying groups. Under the banner head of ABS, there are three longstanding business units: 1) Trade Division incorporated in 1935, 2) Jubilee Insurance Agencies incorporated in 1955, and 3) PFA Canada in business since 1965. Together the units offer products and services from over 200 approved suppliers; and represent over 2200 members across Canada, which accounts for total purchasing power of over $200 million.
Reports to: Director of Aggregated Business Services
The AAMDC Legal Counsel will handle assigned litigation matters on behalf of the Genesis Reciprocal Insurance Exchange (Genesis). Under the general direction of the Director the position will be responsible to the Jubilee Agencies (JIAL) claims department to offer legal opinions, defend legal actions, and assist in claims settlement, and otherwise act in interests of Genesis, JIAL, and AAMDC as required by the management team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible to assist in operation of the insurance litigation program to support Genesis Reciprocal Insurance and Jubilee Insurance Agencies Ltd.
- Responsible to achieve cost reductions through the replacement of outside vendor use.
- Responsible to ensure strong and productive relationships with JIAL Claims Manager.
- Handle a proportion of Jubilee Insurance claims sufficient to replace a target of 25 hours of outside legal fees per week.
- Assist in the refinement of the Jubilee Insurance wordings when required.
- Provide such other support and advice as requested by the AAMDC senior management team.
- Identify and develop strategies to enhance the efficiency of the Jubilee Insurance program as it relates to legal exposures.
- Monitor changes in the legal environment which will affect the operations of the Jubilee insurance program.
- Maintain accurate documentation/information on all claim files assigned.
- Prepare reports to management which accurately reflect loss development, potential/actual financial exposure, coverage issues, claim and recovery strategies.
Qualifications and Skills
- Ability to handle multiple areas of liability insurance matters; including occupier’s liability, municipal errors and omissions, wrongful dismissal and employment liability, tender law, and bodily injury claims.
- Proven expertise in at least two of the above liability insurance areas.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in the area of Municipal defense and insurance law
- Through knowledge of the Alberta Insurance Act and the Municipal Government Act of Alberta.
- Working knowledge of contractual liability.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working in multiple teams, and on multiple projects
- Ability to travel (clean drivers abstract)
- Post-secondary degree in Law
- A member in good standing of the Alberta Bar Association
This posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
This position offers a competitive salary, and comprehensive benefit package, that will be discussed in a personal interview.
Job Type: Full-Time
- Post-secondary degree in Law
- Municipal defense and insurance law: 4+ years
Required license or certification:
Candidates should submit, in confidence, a covering letter and resume detailing qualifications, work experience and references to Anurag Shourie at firstname.lastname@example.org Ph: 780-420-6466