Clearwater County is looking for the right fit: a knowledgeable senior officer who is proficient in fire service operations, training and promoting public awareness educational presentations.
We are looking for the right fit: a knowledgeable senior officer who is proficient in fire service operations, training and promoting public awareness educational presentations.
The Assistant Fire Chief’s responsibilities include: assisting Regional Fire Chief in organization and direction of the Region’s volunteer fire stations; contributing and promoting public awareness and education through proactive activities and programs; overseeing maintenance and operations of Regional Fire’s equipment and apparatus; conducting inspections, providing advice and interpreting fire code legislation and standards to assist businesses and residents; performing fire investigation and cause determination; assisting in development and update of SOGs and promoting compliance with policy and procedures; researching and recommending changes to the Fire Chief on any operational, budget, program, emergency, or community relations activity; and demonstrating the County’s values of accountability, integrity, service, community and communications.
Due to the requirement to respond to emergency calls, the successful person hired must be willing to live within Clearwater County. This position works 40 hours/week, generally Monday to Friday. It is also expected that the Assistant Fire Chief is available for on-call duties and work a flexible schedule. This position is a management position at the County: in lieu of overtime, the successful incumbent will receive an additional weeks’ annual vacation leave above the 3 weeks’ annual allotment. This is a salaried position with participation in a comprehensive group benefits program and eligibility to participate in the pension plan.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent plus several years’ progressive firefighter experience is necessary, however post-secondary education in an emergency related discipline is preferred;
- NFPA 1001 – Professional Qualifications for Firefighter – Level 2;
- NFPA 1041 – Fire Services Instructor – Level 1;
- Alberta Basic Safety Codes Officer;
- ICS 300;
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a Fire Officer position;
- Clean Drivers’ Abstract [Class 3 with Air Brake preferred];
- Clean Criminal Record check including Vulnerable Sector;
- Possess physical and mental agility and stamina to perform all functions required;
- Excellent level of communications skills and abilities including reports, compiling information, presentations, utilizing a variety of computing devices; and,
- Ability to establish rapport and build relationships.
Submission requirements: cover letter, detailed resume including credentials supporting qualifications, names of 3 references as well as hiring salary requirements and availability.
Emailed submissions are preferred and may be sent to: email@example.com till noon on Thursday, March 30, 2017.
Although we thank all applicants in advance for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted, which is anticipated to occur after the closing date.