In this term position, you will be responsible for providing legal services for the City of Red Deer.
Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It’s a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canadian Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
This term position is responsible for providing legal services for the City of Red Deer. This includes providing verbal and written advice and opinions on diverse legal matters to the Corporation and City Council; drafting bylaws; drafting, negotiating and reviewing various agreements; acting as a liaison between external counsel and administration and representing the City as required to outside agencies; providing legal representation before the courts and administrative tribunals.
Ideally to fill this role you will be have completed a LLB or JD degree from a recognized Canadian university, be a member of the Law Society of Alberta in good standing or able to obtain a membership prior to commencement of employment and have three years of broad experience practicing in areas of law relevant to Alberta municipal government operations.
In addition you will have:
- Proven legislative drafting skills and strong written communication skills in order that complex legal issues can be explained in a manner that allows those not familiar with legal terminology to understand the facts and the application of legal principles to those facts.
- Must have or obtain an understanding of the various operations of The City.
- Commitment to ongoing professional education.
- Must have the political acumen to function effectively in a political setting.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skill and diplomacy. Must have excellent listening, oral and written communications skills and the ability to distill concerns and ask questions that will clearly identify underlying issues.
What we offer:
In addition to the very competitive salary, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of professionals.
We welcome applications until April 30, 2017.
For more information and to apply online, please visit us at www.reddeer.ca/careers or email your application to email@example.com.