The Government of Alberta has launched mgareview.alberta.ca which includes details about the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and the overall review process, scheduled consultation sessions and information regarding the three discussion areas of focus; planning and development, government and administration, and assessment and taxation.
A major component of the MGA review is stakeholder engagement sessions that are beginning in February. There are different types consultation events in each location and of particular interest to AAMDC members are the following:
- The three technical sessions intended for in-depth discussions on assessment and taxation; planning and development; and governance and administration.
- The municipal elected officials session.
- The municipal administrators session If you are a municipal elected official or administrator and have not yet received an access code, please request one from firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the sessions or to register, click one of the locations below. Space is limited so register as soon as possible.
- Edmonton February 5-7
- Fort McMurray February 12-14
- Vermilion February 19-21
- Lethbridge February 26-28
- Edson March 5-7
- Red Deer March 12-14
- Brooks March 26-28
- Grande Prairie April 2-4
- Calgary April 9-11
The AAMDC has been busy preparing members for this important review including MGA refresher sessions and our consultation sessions. Based on member participation, we compiled a “what we heard” document the summarizes your comments, all active MGA-related resolutions as of Fall 2013, any recurrent themes and the AAMDC’s established positions. Members are encouraged to review these resources to ensure comprehensive participation in the review process.
A detailed workbook will be posted on the Government of Alberta’s MGA review website in the near future and AAMDC members are encouraged to complete and submit their completed workbooks. The AAMDC will keep members informed of the ongoing MGA review process.
Enquiries may be directed to:
Director of Advocacy & Communications